The new antibiotic they have Aidan on is chlorophenycol (sp?). The bacteria is very resistant, but this drug was able to kill it in the dish, so we expect good things in the dog! I saw him after the procedure yesterday, in which they went back in to clear out and flush out all debrided tissue and any fluid pockets. What had happened is that the remainder of the femur, which they cut when they took off the leg, was stil able to move around inside. The movement kept an area clear for the fluid to collect in, and as it sat, it became infected. Now, there is a drain tube in to help the fluids escape, diazepam in cats and after scraping out the atrophied muscles and dead tissue, the poor boy should be feeling much better. When I saw him, they still had the footbath set up outside his kennel, and they told me he was still heavily sedated, but he got up when I came in, and he was able to get comfy with mom sitting there stroking his head and neck. He was still kind of out of it, but he was feeling much better, just tired. They are going to keep him over the weekend, and hopefully diazepam in cats I will be able to bring him home before his appointment in Seattle on Tuesday. Due to the infection still being in the active phase, they will not be able to start him on chemo yet, but I am hopeful at the consult that they will be able to tell me what course of drugs they think will work, and whether diazepam in cats or not my vets will be able to handle the treatments so I am not having to drive to Seattle so often. Also, my sister and her husband will be making their annual vacation trip to Mexico in December, and I have heard that some of the drugs are much cheaper there. If the timing diazepam in cats is right, we will get this thing licked. I just hope the infection clears up fast. My special boy now has six vets who are actively working on his case. I think that encompasses the entire clinic that I have been taking him to! They are a wonderful group of folks, very caring and very good at what they do, and I am very greytful that they have been working so hard to help my Aidan. I was able to stop in again today while I was out and about to visit, and managed to coax a small meal into his tummy and a full bowl of water. My schedule for the weekend will allow me to visit everyday, so he won't get lonely. He is looking much better today, although still slightly depressed, but with the appetite, I will forgive him for the despondency! I would be tired of being at the vet's so much, too. For the record, Aidan spent half the month of October at home and half at the vet's.
▼ 2007 (17) ▼ November (10) Post script The Final Chapter A Turn for the Worse Back home again Chemo consult The night before the consult New routine Good news and bad news... More on the infection Infection problems ► October (7)
No comments:
Post a Comment